then again, maybe not
Closed for business

March 27, 2006

No thinking, just typing...

I'm fried right now. No higher brain functions. But, I found this over at Alas, A Blog - a link to the top 100 overlooked movies of the 90's . Now that's something I can think about. Of the list, here are my thoughts.

Heavenly Creatures - This is one of my favorite movies. I saw it at Ritz 5, I believe, with my first really intense best friend who was about to move to Chicago because of her evil stepfather's job. Even watching it now gets me.

The Hudsucker Proxy - I just saw this for the first time last year. Tim Robbins is just fantastic.

That Thing You Do! - Uh, nope. I hated this movie.

Sneakers - Wait, someone besdies me actually saw this movie? I had no idea. Loved it. I love all the hacker movies when the internet was still somewhat exotic.

Devil in a Blue Dress - Great, great, great noir movie with amazing music. And black people. What will they think of next.

Welcome to the Dollhouse - Is this movie overlooked? Everyone I know loves it. Hmmm.

Pump Up the Volume - Never have I loved anything as much as Christian Slater in this movie. Except maybe Christian Slater in Heathers. Sigh. And the soundtrak was a favorite because one song starts with screaming "Kick out the jams, motherfuckers!" Loved blasting that in my room. Some things never change.

Strange Days - One of my favorite pre-millenial movies about what kind of craziness would happen at the end of 1999. Angela Basset was fucking awesome.

Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me - This is a terrible movie. But I loved the show, and I loved this too. When I was in college, my roommate and I spent an entire long weekend watching the whole series and this movie. That was a bad idea, but really fun.

The Ref - Denis Leary. I love Denis Leary. I just do. Are you sensing a theme? I like foul-mouthed assholes. Because I like me.

Joe Versus the Volcano - Again, I'm, not sure this movie is overlooked.

Great Expectations - Nope. Horrible flick. Ethan Hawke is boring and Gwyneth Paltrow couldn't be less alluring to me if she tried. And the adaptation? Snore.

The People vs. Larry Flynt - Nope, not overlooked. Courtney Love won a Golden Globe for this, right? Granted, playing a messed up drug addict probably wasn't hard, but she and Woody Harrelson were amazing.




Comments:
Gwyneth, the transluscent?! She's never done anything for me either, though there was some film about her, wasn't there, where she played a woman who was overweight, but this guy saw her as, well, Gwyneth. She wasn't so tiresome in that film.

(I actually called her a transluscent, vapid stick yrs ago, but kind of offended a few online friends who were, well, sticks. So, I try not to do that anymore. I sneak it in this way coz -- I'm an ass!
 
Ack. I'll try very hard to avoid going off on how much I can't stand Gwyneth Paltrow. She's on my list of irritating people I can't watch. Juliette Lewis, Jack Black (funny you mention Shallow Hal), and Brittany Murphy are also on it.
 
Gwyneth Paltry, I call her. Whey-faced, simpering little git. Can't stand 'er.

(and anyway: translucent, as in can see right through her? yeah, that's a quality I want in my women/actors).

love love LOVE Hudsucker Proxy. the scene where they're romantically talking about how they might have met as forest creatures...a woodland stag...or perhaps an ibex...cracks me up every time.

"Including the mezzanine."
 
Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home