then again, maybe not
Closed for business

March 15, 2006

Whew, I'm on a roll…

It's so nice when I can spend more than five minutes at a time reading blogs. I feel so educated, and vaguely aroused (intellectually, of course). Lindsay over at Majikthise has an interesting review of Crashing the Gate. From this, and what I know of the writers, here's my main concern (which is clearly not at all their concern) about their vision of the future power of the "netroots."

Lindsay says:
Crashing the Gate contains a lot of valuable advice for Democrats. However, I
was disappointed that Kos and Armstrong are primarily interested in
professionalizing the party through think tanks, paid operatives, and a new
breed of internet savvy media consultants. I wanted to hear about how new
technology might enable ordinary citizens to assert unprecedented influence over
politics and the media--from the bottom up.
Hugo warns:

Do these lads understand that millions of people in the core constituency of the
Democratic Party aren't even ONLINE? Unions, NARAL, and other "interest groups" are able to represent the marginalized who can't share their thoughts through email or small online credit card contributions. In Los Angeles, the SEIU
represents thousands of working poor, many of whom don't have an internet
connection. Their needs matter too.
Exactly. And furthermore, I'm not convinced that the solution to the problems in the Democratic Party is just a different small bunch of elitist making the decisions. More of the same is more of the same, regardless of their internet savvy. But I've not seen much coming out of Kos and the blogger boys club that really focused on getting a better party instead of a more successful one. I don't mean to jump on the anti-Kos bus. He's not that important. But I do worry that the creation of the "netroots" as a force for change isn't going to create any actual, you know, change.




Comments:
Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home